After we left the very simple guest house we went through Lao immigration. It wasn't too bad except that it was the first time I had to carry my bags for a long period of time, That bag is heavier than it looks people. When we finally got to Lao we boarded a long boat/houseboat that we cruised on for the next two days.It was absolutely amazing and relaxing. We all read our books and played cards and hung out in the sunshine. The scenery was spectacular. When the fog lifted over the mekong you kinda felt like you were in Platoon or Apocolypse nows without the war of course. The first day we stopped off in a tiny village on the shore and played with some kids..very cute and authentic. We then made our way to a town, I can't remember the name, and spent the night in a very cute guest house. We went for Indian, but my stomache was still bothering me so I decided to just eat bread and rice. BORING!! The next day we cruised again and had an even better day. We stopped off the the cave of a 1000 buddhas were people from all over the world bring their buddhas to worship. We also stopped off in a whiskey village where they showed us how they make Lao Lao and Whiskey, The smelled turned my stomach a bit lol. The village also has a lot of weavers ands artisans so we went around the market and I was able to buy a few nice little things.
That day we finally made it to Luang Prabang. This has been my FAVORITE place so far. It's a great backpacker town filled with great restaurants and an amazing night market with all sorts of crafts and goodies. We did a day trip to the waterfalls which were so beautiful and I spent one day doing an elephant safari....SO FUN I got to ride on the elephants neck and stear him around. My thighs and ass were killing me the next day because I guess I was clinching on for dear life. We then had a lovely lunch overlooking the river. Our hotel is amazing but there was only one minor drawback...the temple next door was having a 3 day festival and blaring music and noise from the loudspeaker 24/7 and when I say music think of the sound of wailing dying cats...yup that's what it sounded like. I ended up buying so much stuff at the market that I had a to ship a little box home to myself. It cost just as much to ship it as it did to buy all the stuff...but it's some pretty special stuff!! My appetite is back too which is great, but I am still being pretty careful about what i eat.
Now it's off to Vang Vienne (I probably spelled that wrong) 6 hours drive through the winding mountains. Thank god for my motion sick band....best purchase ever!!! The scenery was absolutely beautiful throughout hte drive. It is always interesting to see people in the small villages and how they live. Kind of reminds you that the "stuff" is not so important. On the otherhand, I really like my stuff and will continue to buy more as I travel. I also miss TV. I know that's lame, but I on;y have ssen BBC so I don't really know what's going on in the world. On a bright note, this town that we are in now is known for it's bars that play Friends and the Simpsons round the clock, so I will get a little TV in tonight. LOL
We are here for two nights and then on to Vientienne and then Vietnam...
Hope you are all doing great...more later
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A bar that plays Simpsons around the clock!?! What a perfect way to combine my passions. Save me a stool next to you. xo
ReplyDeleteI hope Friends was on...I feel like you are in a movie as I read this. It seems set in another time to me for some reason. I cannot get a grasp of how different your life is right now compared to what it was 2 weeks ago. If you were a man, you would be coming home with a long beard telling anecdotes while drinking your whiskey by the fire. "Back in Vietnam..." Okay, I am losing it! Miss you so much.
ReplyDeletewhat did you buy???
ReplyDeleteSame old same old in this world. You aren't missing anything here. Sounds fascinating. Look forward to the next installment. xoxo
ReplyDeleteJess it's those fun reminders of home that you need no matter where you are or how much fun you are having. Love you and miss you lots. This blog is the best thing ever!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry your tummy hasn't been agreeing with you, but you're a trooper...and you seem to be taking in all that you can (and could) under the circumstances! Watching the BBC news can get old, as it did when we were in Spain, but it's ironic 'cause being here, I feel like we get too much US-only news. Enjoy the Simpsons and keep the stories comin'. Love reading all about your travels!
ReplyDeleteoh my god, jess, that was hilarious, hahaha,
ReplyDeletecan't stop laughing over here in the freezing cold of old London Town.... about how you write, "stuff" isn't that important, then follow it with, "well I love my stuff, and will continue to buy it" hahaha, GOLD... We bought stuff too, by we I really mean B :-) but none the less, it's all worth it..
Your trip is sounding amazing. the cave of 1000 Budhas I just imagine 1000 Budha's along cave walls smiling.. that's awesoome..
Hope your taking lots of pics...
TV... we missed it too on our travels although after 8 months of being on the road we some how managed to be up to date on all our favorites.
Thank you torrentz :-)
Great blog, keep it up..
Jessie!! Everything sounds so amazing.. Vang vienne is def a really cool town. so chill :)Laos is just amazing. However, getting around kinda stinks. Seeing the hill tribes as you pass through is cool though.
ReplyDeleteIm totally living vicariously through you :)
xoxox
Miss ya
kerry