Saturday, February 21, 2009

Good night Laos - Good Morning Vietnam

So, I woke yesterday with a new perspective. Amy and my fearless tour leader Karis helped put things into perspective for me and gave me a new outlook on this whole experience. I had gone to bed feeling better than I had in a few days. Alas, even being swormed by mosquitoes in my hotel while I slept and waking up with a swollen lip and bites all over, I was HAPPY!! Elated even. I was ready to start fresh. I packed my backs got some good lunch and we headed to the airport leaving Laos behind and heading towards Vietnam. On this trip I have been most excited for Vietnam, so I was ready to get going. The flight from Vientienne to Hanoi was very short and uneventful. I exchanged $100 and got 1,746,000 Vietnamese dollars. It was exciting to start out as a millionaire. When we got to our hotel I was SOOOO very excited. It is the nicest place we have stayed so far. While I am okay roughing it, I was in need of a little luxury.

We dropped off our stuff and went for dinner at this famous Vietnamese restaurant that has been a staple in Hanoi for 7 generations. There was only one dish some fish noodly thing. It was the best thing I have eaten on the trip so far. I ate as if I had never eaten before and with abandon, not thinking about my stomache..which was nice for a change. When I got back to the hotel I talked to my mom, which was great since it had been a while. Then was pleasantly surprised when I got a call from Melissa as well. It was nice to touch base with home!!!

I slept like a baby and was bummed when my alarm went off. First stop - Ho Chi Minh Masoleum. CREEPY!!!! He had himself embalmed and put in a clear tomb so that people could view his body. If we forgot that we are in a communist country, we were quickly reminded when we were forced to walk in two lines, no talking, with our arms straight at our sides. We definitely got shushed by several guards. He looked like a wax figure...very bizarre. I feel like in 50 years people will come ot the US to visit the Michael Jackson Masoleum and he will be embalmed just like Uncle Minh.

A group of us then went to the Temple of literature which was this amazing temple, garden area. Really interesting architecture and such. I took about 100 pictures while we were there. Then a few of us went to lunch at a non-profit restaurant that takes kids off the streets and teaches them marketable culinary skills and puts them to work. It was a really great homey place and it felt good to support a cause that helps get kids off the streets. More walking and site seeing and now we are headed off to dinner.

Hanoi is a fascinating place. Everyone rides motorbikes and there are no traffic lights. As a pedestrian you just have to walk slow and steady through the traffic and the bikes all go around you. Being a New Yorker, this does not intimidate me, but it is hilarious to watch some of the other people in my group screaming as they cross the road. Tomorrow morning it is off to Halong Bay and on a boat for 2 nights. I will update when I am back on dry land!!!

Hope you are all doing well!!

Happy birthday this week to Greg, Lynn, and Dave....

3 comments:

  1. was thrilled to talk to you. Glad everything is sooo much better. Will miss you in Aruba.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the birthday wishes. Glad things are going well. I am glad you are getting over the hump and getting into a groove. I knew you would make it through! Do you even see these comments? The girls say hello Aunt Jess! They love hearing about your adventures. Lets go for a spa day when you came back at the Breakers. You are gonna need an exfoliation....what do you think Fifi?

    ReplyDelete
  3. you just keep adding to our list of places to go and visit :-)

    keep it coming :-)

    ReplyDelete