Monday, March 2, 2009

and the FEELING continues...

Hoi An was wonderful. I decided not to have a winter coat made because it would cost twice as much to mail home as it would to make it and there were way too many options for fabrics, styles, stitching, buttons, etc. I couldn't wrap my head around it all. I did however has some FABULOUS shoes made fpr $11 : ) While some people in my group had entire new wardrobes made along with shoes for all their outfits, I resisted. I just enjoyed their fashions shows when they got all of their new wares back. I bought some other souvenirs at a a place called "Reaching Out" that teaches young people with disabilities how to make crafts. I got to meet the student/workers and it felt really rewarding to support a good cause.

Another good cause I supported was my stomach LOL. We ate at some amazing restaurants and I was a little more adventurous with my eating, although not too crazy. We all met every night at a dessert place for yummy treats as well. I worked off all the calories by biking around the town for a few hours each day and ending up at the beach.

Hoi An is the only place I would ride a bike in Vietnam....if you think you have seen crazy traffic and crazy driving you have never been to SOutheast Asia. Most people here have motor bikes and bicycles and they drive them as if they were tanks...with no reverence for people or other vehicles. Imagine 5,000 motorbikes, bicycles, and pedestrians all converging on time square and having all the traffic lights and rules removed. It is absolute chaos, but somehow it works. I have taken a bunch of picks of the traffic because it is absolutely fascinating to watch.

I am said to leave Hoi An. It has really been a great part of the trip. I am not sure if I mentioned earlier that my four week trip is split into three sections. After the first section some people left and new people joined us. I really loved the people who left us after the first leg and they were in Hoi An when we were there, so it was fantastic to hang out with them again. I will be meeting up with all of them again when I go to Koh Phangan Island at the end of this tour.

We are off on a flight to Saigon/Ho chi minh city...more from there.

PS Happy birthday to Erica this week!!

1 comment:

  1. This blog makes me hungry. We are going to eat at a Vietnamese restaurant this week...any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete